Dermaplaning is a procedure to create smoother skin. It works by removing the very top layers of your skin where there is evidence of scars (e.g. from acne), fine lines, and some blemishes from sun-damaged skin. A treatment professional skilfully skims the surface of the skin using an exfoliating blade. As well as the top layer of skin, it also removes the hair.
Dermaplaning is non-invasive and doesn’t require a difficult recovery. It’s used by those wanting a more youthful and soft complexion, to minimise dullness and the appearance of minor skin damage.
BENEFITS OF DERMAPLANING
- Ultra-smooth, fresh skin
- Removes dead layers & hair
- Evens out skin tone
- Helps with cell metabolism
As we say, protection from sun exposure after dermaplaning should feature highly in your dermaplaning aftercare. Your practitioner should apply sunscreen immediately after the treatment. You will then need to ensure you have sunscreen on every time you go outside (even on cloudy days!) for several weeks. Use at least SPF 30.
In addition, we recommend the following aftercare tips:
- Avoid the sun: For three days we recommend that you avoid direct sun exposure entirely, and definitely don’t sunbathe!
- Use moisturisers: Choose fragrance free natural moisturisers and serums to nourish and soothe your skin.
- Avoid heat: Likewise, so as to not exacerbate the redness, avoid too much heat for three days too. Keep your hairdryer away from your face, and don’t use saunas or steam rooms.
- Don’t exfoliate: After dermaplaning, you do not need to exfoliate (dermaplaning is extreme exfoliation!). Avoid scrubs and other exfoliation for at least one week.
- Don’t swim: Don’t go in a chlorinated pool or hot tub for a week following your treatment.
- Don’t exercise for 24 hours: To minimise sensitivity, redness, and the potential for outbreaks, avoid getting too sweaty for 24 hours following your treatment.
- Don’t wear makeup for 24 hours: We recommend avoiding makeup on your face for 24 hours following treatment.
- Avoid other treatments: If you’ve had dermaplaning, you shouldn’t have any other facial treatments for at least a fortnight.
Your dermaplaning technician should explain the aftercare procedure to you thoroughly. Aftercare ensures you get the best results for as long as possible. Make sure you cleanse your skin daily, using only water or a very mild face cleanser. Pat your face gently with a towel to dry, rather than rubbing it. Moisturise it and use a serum. Choose creams and serums rich in hyaluronic acid and vitamin C.